“Jewellery has always been a popular category on the marketplace, and its growth shows how consumer demand is only increasing,” said Tirath Kamdar, GM of Luxury at eBay. “As we continue to listen to our community of luxury enthusiasts to foster an even more trusted shopping and selling environment, expanding Authenticity Guarantee to jewelry was a crucial next step for our luxury business.”
eBay’s collaboration with GIA – preeminent experts in gems and jewellery – will power the marketplace’s authentication in this category, which has grown significantly over the past year: sales of Bvlgari, David Yurman and Van Cleef & Arpels were all up double-digits month-over-month in May of this year, while eight pieces of fine jewellery were bought every minute on eBay in 2021. With 90 years of expertise, GIA’s unparalleled category knowledge will help ensure that buyers can shop and sellers can sell with total confidence. As part of the collaboration, GIA experts, including gemologists, will perform a multi-point inspection, verifying metal type, purity, and gemstone quality, to confirm the authenticity of every eligible item.
“GIA is the trusted independent source of knowledge, standards, and education in gems and jewellery; our mission is to protect consumers,” said Pritesh Patel, GIA Chief Operating Officer. “Collaborating with eBay on its Authentication Guarantee extends our mission, helping to protect the millions of eBay fine jewellery buyers and sellers.”
eBay has authenticated more than two million items across authenticated categories since introducing the Authenticity Guarantee in 2020, and in the next two years, the program is expected to surpass five million items. The addition of fine jewellery to eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee service builds upon the existing assortment of luxury goods available on the marketplace backed by the authentication service, underpinning its growth as a top luxury destination. By the end of 2022, jewellery authentication will roll out to all eligible listings and identified brands on the platform, making it easier and more trusted than ever to browse and buy fine jewellery on the marketplace.
GIA experts use best-in-class techniques to verify the condition and quality of the jewellery, ensuring the authenticity and accuracy as compared to the listing. Every piece of jewellery that goes through eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee service is examined by GIA experts who inspect the item to verify it is as described in the listing. They also confirm that its condition and quality are as described in the listing. Our Authenticity Guarantee service collaborates with GIA, the preeminent expert in gems and jewellery, so you can shop with confidence. Details on the jewellery authentication process are as follows:
- Multi-point inspection by experts: Jewellery is examined for authenticity by GIA experts with years of industry experience and knowledge. GIA then performs a multi-point inspection, so you know your jewellery is authentic. Once verified, GIA will ship your item to you safely and discreetly, with signature confirmation required.
- Unique Authentication Card: Verified jewellery will receive a unique authentication card with a QR code. Scan the code to access your item’s documentation, and learn more about your jewellery and its authentication journey.
- Verified Returns: In the event of a return, every item is inspected by GIA experts before it’s sent back to the seller. Returns are shipped back directly to the authentication collaborators, verifying their authenticity.
Shoppers can visit eBay.com/
- On average, there are 7.8 million fine jewellery listings on eBay every day
- eBay sold 8 fine jewellery items every minute in 2021
- In 2021, eBay sold over 4.2 million fine jewellery items
- Purchases of fine jewellery from brands like Chopard, Harry Winston and Hermes are +38% YoY in the past six months
- Sales of poplar herringbone style bracelets and necklaces are up 48% and 26% respectively YoY
463 total views