The Royal Canadian Mint has released two finely crafted tributes to unforgettable chapters in Canadian military history. The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin First World War Allied Forces: Newfoundland honours the future province’s brave contribution to the Allied victory, which helped end hostilities on November 11, 1918. Artist Pandora Young has dramatically illustrated soldiers of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in the heat of battle, whose acts of courage in famed battles such as Beaumont Hamel and The Somme continue to amaze and inspire.
On the $20 Fine Silver Coin Second World War Battlefront Series – The Invasion of Sicily, artist Valentine De Landro has portrayed a Canadian dispatch rider speeding on a motorcycle as the July 1943 Operation Husky brought Canadian troops ashore at the Sicilian town of Pachino. Both these coins, as well as a diverse selection of exceptional keepsakes are now available for purchase.
The Mint has also fashioned a new “Filigree Gate Technology” coin to mark one of its own milestones on the 2018 $30 Fine Silver Coin – 110th Anniversary of the Royal Canadian Mint. This 2 oz. coin proudly displays the castle-like façade of the Mint’s Ottawa facility behind a replica the black wrought iron gate, which surrounds it. In operation since 1908, this facility mainly houses bullion and numismatics coin production and was the source of this exceptional keepsake.
Other fine collectibles available this month include:
- The 2018 $25 Fine Silver Coin – Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: The Young Princess, the Mint’s first coin to be struck with a “repoussé” inspired technique to reproduce the artwork of Bonnie Ross in exceptionally high relief;
- The 2018 $30 Fine Silver Coin – Evolving a Nation, an innovative coin featuring multiple maple leaf cutout shapes, representing the 13 provinces and territories, surrounding Canada’s Coat of Arms in full colour;
- The 2018 Fine Silver 14-Coin Set – Heraldic Emblems of Canada, featuring Canada’s Coat of Arms, as well as those of all the provinces and territories, each colourfully reproduced on their own coin;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canadian Flag, on which artist Tony Bianco arranged micro-sized English and French lyrics of our national anthem in red to re-create the pattern of the Canadian flag;
- The 2018 $200 Pure Gold Coin – 30thAnniversary of the Platinum Maple Leaf (PML), featuring the iconic maple leaf design of the PML and Her Majesty’s effigy in platinum plating, a first for a Mint gold coin;
- The 2018 $3 Fine Silver Coins – Canadian Coasts (Atlantic Coves and Pacific Sunset), square-shaped coins designed by artist Maurade Baynton, which capture the signature imagery of the eastern and western shores;
- The 2018 $50 Fine Silver Coin – Nature’s Light Show: Stormy Night, the first in a new series of 5 oz. concave coloured coins incorporating a glow in the dark effect, which brings to life Derek Wicks’ illustration of fox cubs huddled in their den while the clash of lightning dances in the night sky;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canadian Mosaics: Caribou, on which artist Jori van der Linde’s design mimics the look of a stained-glass mosaic in translucent colour;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Maple Tree Tunnel, designed by Jan Poynter and enhanced by black light technology to show a tree-limed garden in two different seasons;
- The 2018 $50 Fine Silver 3-Coin Set reproducing the Mint’s wildly popular Murano glass coins in an impressive 5 oz. format;
- The 2018 5-Ounce Fine Silver Coin – Big Coin Series: 2-Dollar Coin, selectively plated in rose gold;
- The 2018 $8 Fine Silver Coin – Good Luck Charms: Five Blessings, a square-holed coin featuring Chinese-Canadian motifs created by artist Simon Ng;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Star TrekTM: Deep Space NineTM,a coin textured and shaped in the silhouette of the show’s famed space station, in colour and enhanced by glow-in-the-dark technology;
- The 2018 $3 Fine Silver Coin – The Thirteen Teachings from Grandmother Moon: Raspberry Moon, designed by Frank Polson;
- The crystal-enhanced 2018 $5 Fine Silver Coin – Birthstones: August, featuring a mandala-inspired ruby design by artist Pandora Young.
Mintages, pricing and full background information on each product can be found on the “Shop” tab of www.mint.ca.
170 total views